Tuesday, April 29, 2014

One Day at a Time


You are too concerned with what was and what will be. There's a saying: ‘Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the “present”.’
- Master Oogway (Kung Fu Panda)

He therefore, I believe, wants them to attend chiefly to two things, to Eternity itself, and to that point of time which they call the Present.  For the Present is the point at which time touches Eternity.
- from C.S. Lewis’ The Screwtape Letters

Press on one day at a time.
That’s how to live life.

The past is done. 
It can’t be changed.
 Hence, being concerned of it is a waste of time and energy. 
But the present is the perfect time to amend the mistakes of the past.
And there is no better time to start anew than the present.

True, the future is somewhat affected by the present.
But the future is not something that is in our power.
Thus, investing our hope on the future is a waste.
Rather, we just have to do our best in the present.
And invest our hope on Someone that does hold the future.
(That “Someone” is God, if it’s not obvious.)

One day at a time.
Just survive the day.
Do our best to accomplish the day’s goals and entrusted tasks.
Ask for the daily bread.
Be still.
Live on prayer.
And trust God

The past can hurt me. 
The future can worry me. 
So why dwell on them?
They are out of my hands.
But the present is something certain.
It’s a moment in time I’ve been given the opportunity to touch.
So it’s where I need to focus.

And with the gift of present, also comes the grace of living under God’s supremacy.
This truth, I embrace happily.
That should be enough to give me peace.
For if God bothered to assure the happiness of my Eternity,
Surely, he also have my day-by-day journey towards it taken care of.

No comments: