Monday, May 30, 2016

The Titular Kitten of 'Keanu' Is Probably the Cutest Movie Cat Ever

Keanu stars Comedy Central personalities Keegan-Michael Key and Jordan Peele.  It’s an action comedy about two cousins/buddies, Rell (Peele) and Clarence (Key), who have to pose as the ruthless assassins called the Allentown Boys (also played by the duo) in order to infiltrate a local gang so that they can retrieve Rell’s kitten, Keanu, which the gang recently abducted.

This movie is very silly, but in a good way.  The thought that people – Rell and Clarence, as well as different criminals – would be compelled to do crazy stuff (e.g. theft, intimidations, pretending to be hardened “gangsta” thugs, starting a gunfight, etc.) for a cat is just plain ridiculous.  Sure, Keanu is indeed extremely adorable – probably the cutest movie cat I’ve ever seen – but still.  Anyway, the absurdity of it all is what actually makes this comedy work.

Prior Keanu, I was not familiar with the comedy duo Key and Peele and their TV show.  I can’t remember seeing them before except in the one time they appeared in The Muppets.   That’s probably why I find their performance and humor in this movie fresh.  The way they had to pretend to be “gangsta” when they’re far from being so amused me a lot.

I’m not sure if I will still like the next Key and Peele project I’ll encounter.  But since the duo succeeded in making something special and thoroughly fun with Keanu, I’m now looking forward for what else they can offer in the big screen.

No comments: