Friday, October 27, 2017

Happy 20th Birthday, Lonzo Ball!

Today is Lonzo Ball’s birthday, so let me write my first blog post about him.

As a Laker fan, I have the same hopes for Lonzo Ball that every Laker fan has.  I hope that he won’t turn out being a bust.  I hope he wins Rookie of the Year.  I hope he develops into a bona fide NBA Superstar.  More than that, I hope he would follow the steps of Kobe Bryant and Magic Johnson.  I hope he’s truly the next Laker legend on the making.  I hope he brings back the Lakers to a glorious pedestal.  I hope for championships.

I hope he turns out being what he’s being hyped to be.

Well, it’s still early in the season; he’s had highs and lows.  He’s yet to blow my mind.  He’s struggling so far with getting points.  But the promise is there.  He’s had a fantastic game against Phoenix – one assist shy of a triple-double.  In four games, he’s leading the Lakers in rebounds and assists.

Hopefully, he soon gains the confidence and hardcourt mojo to play in a high level consistently.

Once he truly becomes the transcendent player that Lakerdom is hoping he would be, I might even adore him as much as I adored Kobe.  By then, I will have plenty of thoughts about him.  But, for now, let me point out two main things I like about him.

First, while his dad LaVar is a notorious loudmouth, he behaves the opposite.  In interviews, he speaks humbly and sensibly.  He says the rights words.  He talks like a “team first” leader.

Second, his full court dimes are like nobody’s business!
Loved this gorgeous pass to Kuzma during the Summer League.
Another look... He's like a quarterback throwing to his wide receiver.
This pass to Nance, Jr. is from the recent game against the Wizards.
Goodness.  His court vision is so excellent, that it’s as if he has a bird’s eye view of the entire court.  Like Kazunari Takao’s “Hawk Eye” in Kuroko no Basket.

I may write more about him this season – depending, of course, on his successes.  But until then, let my “tribute” to him be limited to this blog post for now.

So, happy birthday, Zo!  I wish you a terrific birthday game against the Raptors.  As well as a legendary Laker career ahead, of course.

No comments: