Tuesday, January 08, 2019

'Voltron: Legendary Defender' Is Superior to the Original

Seventy-eight episodes distributed across eight seasons in a span of just two and a half years.  Such was the remarkable run of Voltron: Legendary Defender, which ended last December.  It was a show that I got to love, although it wasn’t an instant thing.

When it debuted in 2016, I didn’t immediately pick it up.  It took until sometime in the following year, a couple of months after its second season ended, until I finally did.  However, although I immediately enjoyed it, and had been looking forward for every subsequent season since then, it wasn’t among my most favorite shows of 2017.  Still, with every new season, I was getting fonder and fonder of it.  And after watching the fantastic, tear-jerking finale, I had the same kind of bittersweet feeling inside that I have whenever a TV show that had become deeply dear to me ended.  It was only then did I realize that I had come to love Voltron: Legendary Defender.
Whatever essential wrap-up praise I have for it right now is just the same as the favorable sentiments I had in my initial review – only magnified ten times over.  The only thing that really needs to be added is the definite assertion that I found it superior to the original (which, by just reading the title, you already know by now).

Among all reruns of 80’s cartoons I saw as a kid in the 90’s, Voltron: Defender of the Universe is one of the most memorable.  Thus, I thought at first that it was something that my nostalgia goggles would see as better regardless of how good Legendary Defender turned out being – which is what’s the case for almost every 80’s properties and their 21st century reboots (I mentioned as much in my first review of the show).  However, I eventually recognized that Legendary Defender is better than Defender of the Universe in every sense.  Characterization, themes, aesthetics, action, direction, writing, humor, plotting… the former did it better in every category there is.

Except for maybe the music.  Defender of the Universe’s just came first and is just too iconic.  Nevertheless, Legendary Defender’s is pretty great as well.
Voltron: Legendary Defender isn’t free from flaws.  There are parts here and there that I found too convenient or too goofy.  There are episode arcs that I wished were more exciting and paced faster.  And then there was the cringe-worthy LGBT pandering.  But these are almost negligible considering all the great things it has.

Protagonists and antagonists are three-dimensional.  There’s an effective balance of endearing comedy, poignant drama, and eye-popping spectacles.  The worldbuilding is measured and complex.  There are subversive, high-octane storylines, and worthwhile subplots, while dynamics are thrillingly ever-shifting.  It handles its Easter eggs with delightful creativity.  And its science fantasy narratives are set upon diverse, fascinating concepts, which range from the quirky to the amazing – weird planets, reality-bending wormholes, RPGs, trippy metaphysical planes, alternate universes, interdimensional game shows, etc.
No question.  Voltron: Legendary Defender is one of the greatest 21st century animated series I’ve ever seen.  I’m definitely gonna miss it.

No comments: