Friday, January 10, 2014

The Amazing Spider-Man Relaunch: Glorious Return of Peter Parker, Flashbacks, or an April Fools' Day Prank?


So I was just having my usual Internet surfing last night… when I encountered this…   





...

...

YEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!


MARVEL IS BRINGING PETER PARKER THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN BACK!!! 

PARTY TIME!
From this leaked cover art of March’s “All-New Marvel NOW!” preview of new series starting in March and April, we can learn that The Amazing Spider-Man is going to be relaunched in April.

Several sites now carry these news and art, but it was over at Comic Book Movie that first leaked these. It has now been removed.  Probably by Marvel’s request.  

The traditional pre-SpOck Spider-Man costume and the happy-go-lucky grin on the face definitely points out at the titular Amazing Spider-Man as being Peter Parker.   After putting up with the sacrilege that is Superior Spider-Man (or Spidey-Ock or SpOck) in my 2013 readings, I ecstatically welcome this development.  My heart leaped with elation.   

Finally, the rightful Spider-Man, Peter Parker, is coming back!

...

...

Then I stopped myself from hoping too much.    There has never been an official word from Marvel about this – no exact and revealing details yet.   And there has no announcements yet that Superior Spider-Man is going to end. 

This could turn out to be something that is different from what I’m expecting.  

This could be a misdirection.  A trick.

I should not hope too much.  It will create more loathing and heartache if it turns out to be different from what I think it’s going to be.    

Take note that Dan Slott (the engineer of SpOck) is still going to be the writer of this title.  And he has already done much misdirecting and planting false hopes in the past already:  He did that tweet that made us speculate that the Superior Spider-Man was going to be Miguel O’Hara (Spider-Man 2099).  And he had surprisingly revealed in the first Superior Spider-Man issue that Peter Parker’s consciousness was still actually lingering around (so that we’ll still check out his book post-Peter), giving us hope that Peter’s return is inevitably soon, and then senselessly kill off Peter a few issues later, deepening the injury on hoping fans.

So, I have to calm my excitement. 

The new series could be merely telling pre-SpOck flashback tales, similar to what Marvel Knights: Spider-Man and Amazing Spider-Man #700.1 to 700.5 did.  It is a let-down possibility.     

Also, the release date falls on April.  Again, Dan Slott could be messing with us.  It could be an elaborate April Fools’ Day prank.

Still, I can’t help but hope that this will truly turn out to be the thrilling return of Peter Parker.   

Just have to wait and see.  (/Crossing my fingers)

No comments: