Monday, November 28, 2016

All Hail Lelouch! 'Code Geass' Is Returning!

I first learned that a third Code Geass anime series is in the works, titled Code Geass: Lelouch of the Resurrection, from a link shared by a Facebook friend last night (or the wee hours of this day).  Apparently, it’s going to be set a couple of years after the end of Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2 – and it would star an alive Lelouch!

Of course, I was initially delighted of seeing such announcement.  However, I didn’t immediately fully believe it because the page has a “fan-made” quality about it, making me doubt of its authenticity.   I tried verifying it for myself, via Google, but the sites that popped up reporting such news didn’t look legit to me.  Plus, the sites that I particularly go for my anime news didn’t have anything about it.  So I stopped myself from raising my hopes up.

But now, many reliable sites – including those I regularly visit – have already reported on it.  Thus, I can finally let myself get excited about it.

However, this news didn’t rapturously delight me the same way the announcement of a season 3 of Young Justice did.  The thing is, Code Geass had already told a completed story already, while Young Justice still has a lot of loose ends.  True, I would love to see more of Lelouch being a mindblowing schemer – that’s always fun – but, on the other hand, the character’s arc had already received a gloriously fitting end.  When it comes to a masterpiece story, there’s always the risk that a sequel would ruin its standing perfection.  That’s simply the case here.

That said, I’m a huge Code Geass fan, and I consider it the best anime ever made.  I often re-watch its two seasons in a binge now and then.  And there’s always a part of me that would love to see more of its world and quality of storytelling.  The spin-off Akito the Exiled was excellent, but I find the thought of a follow-up to the main story more exciting.

Really keeping my fingers crossed that this new series would only add to the epic eminence of Code Geass.
"Death, I, Lelouch vi Brittania, command you... begone from me!"

Miscellaneous musings:
  • First and foremost, it’s imperative that any form of “resurrection” of Lelouch should be done in a way in which he personally had a hand on it.  Meaning that he himself staged and faked his death, completely fooling everyone (a la Sherlock Holmes).  If his “resurrection” is due to an outside, independent cause, then that would just suck.
  • Even if Lelouch comes back, I think it will make more sense and have more narrative merits if Suzaku retains the “Zero” identity.
  • I would like the characters of Akito the Exiled to show up in Lelouch of the Resurrection, and finally have Lelouch directly meet and interact with them.  They could become allies or enemies.  Either way, it’s going to be awesome.
  • Seriously, the phrase “Lelouch of the Resurrection” is kind of silly.

No comments: