Sunday, January 08, 2017

Top 20 Movies of 2016


I unfortunately have not yet watched Hacksaw Ridge, Silence, La La Land, and Arrival – 2016 movies that I’m almost certain would have made this list if I had been able to do so.  Anyway, here are my twenty most favorite movies from among those that I did see, with brief excerpts from their respective reviews.

HONORABLE MENTIONS:

20.) THE SHALLOWS

“If nothing else, between its star and visuals, this movie is pleasurable in an aesthetic sense… It probably won’t be a classic like Jaws.  But it’s a legitimate runner-up for best shark film of all time.”
Click here for my full review.

19.) STAR TREK BEYOND

“It has visually exciting action, a general sense of fun, an adventurous tone, amiable and organic amount of humor, and lots of heart.  [And] as they were before, the cast is a delight.”
Click here for my full review.

18.) TRAIN TO BUSAN

“…like the best of zombie movies, Train to Busan brilliantly explores how a zombie apocalypse will eventually turn people into monsters, regardless of having been bitten or not… As what it needs to be and what it intends to be, Train to Busan feels perfect… It’s smart, thrilling, touching, funny, and emotionally satisfying…”
Click here for my full review.

17.) APRIL AND THE EXTRAORDINARY WORLD

“…its world and narrative are pleasingly unhinged, immersive, and thoughtful, and its visuals are enchanting.  Science fiction and animation fans will have a blast with April and the Extraordinary World.  It’s a gem.”
Click here for my full review.

16.) HELL OR HIGH WATER

“This movie is essentially a perfect modern rendition of the traditional ‘lawmen vs. outlaws’ setup of the western genre.  And it’s utterly rewarding – especially to those who have an affinity for western dramas, or have good cinematic tastes for that matter.”
Click here for my full review.

15.) DEADPOOL

“…as far as what kind of movie that it needs to be in order to embody the quintessence of the character, then it’s ‘perfect’… Deadpool is tremendously fun and volatile.  It lacks dull or predictable moments… [it] immediately puts a grin on the face, a grin which the movie does a fantastic job of keeping for most of the movie.”
Click here for my full review.

14.) THE JUNGLE BOOK

“Kudos to director Jon Favreau and his team for crafting this very beautiful, gamechanging film.  It’s truly an immersive experience, full of excitement and fun.”
Click here for my full review.

13.) MOANA

Moana is a fantastic animated musical film.  It’s visually luscious… It has a solid set of songs… I had a great time…”
Click here for my full review.

12.) SING STREET

“…regardless of whatever decade our teenage years were – 70’s, 80’s, 90’s, or 2000’s – this movie will surely strike a chord with us, as it delightfully reminds us of the emotions, sentiments, and boundless possibilities of that age – especially to us who also experienced being in a band… [The story has a dominant] endearing sanguinity… the soundtrack [is] elevating.”
Click here for my full review.

11.) YOUR NAME

“…what’s fantastic with Your Name is the fact that it isn’t dragged down by all the familiar melodramatic clichés and themes of teen romances that it has in its plot.  Instead, it tells a love story that cuts deep to the heart in a manner that isn’t cheap…. its storytelling builds anticipation and tension quite well, that the emotional rush of their release is oh so good!  This movie thoroughly brings the feels…”
Click here for my full review.

10.) THE BOY AND THE BEAST

The Boy and the Beast is a very luscious, touching anime film…The animation is visually pleasurable.  The fight scenes are gorgeous.  The characters and their arcs are charming.  And it’s thematically substantial.”
Click here for my full review.

9.) AKITO THE EXILED

“[It] has powerful drama, compelling characters, and an endearing narrative…. It successfully manages to capture the familiar appeal and tone of Code Geass and, at the same time, be something distinctive and original.”
Click here for my full review.

8.) BATMAN: RETURN OF THE CAPED CRUSADERS

“I found this movie more gratifying than… Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice… the movie succeeds in reminding everyone that Batman doesn’t always need to be dark and tortured.  A goofy, light-hearted take on the character works wonderfully, too… A significant aspect of this movie is being a throwback celebration of the TV show.  But it actually has twists that make it something more distinct and well-layered.”
Click here for my full review.

7.) DOCTOR STRANGE

Doctor Strange is a wonderful addition to Marvel’s movie collection…. It’s genuinely great.  [It’s] looking to be a top five MCU movie of all time in my book.”
Click here for my full review.

6.) ROGUE ONE: A STAR WARS STORY

“…this movie is sheer awesomeness... As a Star Wars film, it has a delightful formula of innovation and familiarity mixed in its incredible aesthetics and stirring narrative, resulting to an immersive, exciting, and emotional experience that put a constant smile on my face, goosebumps on my skin, and even a lump in my throat.”
Click here for my full review.

5.) KUBO AND THE TWO STRINGS

“Aside from having fantastic animation, Kubo and the Two Strings also has an endearing, original adventure plot.  The story emphatically brings the feels, and emits both a sense of triumph and tragedy.  It has excellent twists, well-paced storytelling, and beautiful themes on humanity and family.”
Click here for my full review.

4.) ZOOTOPIA

“Being a Disney animated film production, I was expecting that this movie is going to be great – and it is!  It’s tremendously fun and cleverly written.  It’s packed with hilarious and witty gags that it had me in stitches for long stretches.  The narrative is as vibrant and endearing as its animation.  Most importantly, its thoughtful messages about persevering for one’s dreams, overcoming prejudiced stereotyping, and celebrating diversity hit home.”
Click here for my full review.

3.) THE NICE GUYS

The Nice Guys is… a perfectly wonderful movie.  I’ve nothing to nitpick – not one bit.  It has a clever script and solid direction...  The satirized noir storytelling tone is very endearing.  The production value is stylish and authentic.  The story is a delight all throughout; there’s never a dull moment in its narrative.  All attempts of humor worked, even the times when it’s predictable.  The combination of witty writing, impeccable comedic timing, and violent slapstick made this movie extremely hilarious.”
Click here for my full review.

2.) SAVING SALLY

“…I love it.  A lot… for someone like me who loves comics, loves animated films and movies in general, and really wants to see the quality and popularity of Filipino movies and Filipino pop culture in general to improve, Saving Sally does have a profound impact.  I genuinely think that Saving Sally is an objectively awesome movie…”
Click here for my full review.

1.) CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR

“As what can be expected from its premise, Civil War is quite dense.  But it impressively keeps itself comprehensible and well-developed.  Characterizations never suffered.  And it has tons of surprises and epic moments without being bloated and overdone.”
Click here for my full review.

No comments: