Saturday, August 26, 2017

'Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie' Could Be the Start of a Fun Animated Film Franchise

Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie is a superhero animated film based on children’s book series of the same name.  It’s basically an origin movie for the eponymous character.   Originally, he only exists in the imagination of George (Kevin Hart) and Harold (Thomas Middleditch), two best friends who are fond of making comics and pranks, and the source of constant exasperation to the misanthropic Principal Krump (Ed Helms).  But after a series of events that the duo has had a hand on, Captain Underpants is realized in the real world.

Now, I often see the books when I hang out in bookstores, but I’m not very familiar with the source material.  Hence, there were surprises for me.  I really like the silly and unique superhero origin story.  I especially got a kick out of the revelation of who was set to become the Captain Underpants in the real world.  I didn’t see that coming.
The plot is juvenile.  But that’s what is supposed to be anyway.  It’s a movie primarily for kids after all.  Yet it’s also not off-putting and cluttered to a point that adults won’t find enjoyment from it.  There’s fun to be had for everyone.  Heck, I laughed a lot.

Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie is a beautifully animated, witty, and delightful start for a – hopefully – budding animated film franchise.

No comments: