Sunday, July 26, 2020

My First Impressions on 5 New Anime Series of Summer 2020

So, for the summer anime season – on top of the continuation of Fruits Basket season 2, the final cour of Ahiru no Sora’s four-cour debut season, Re:Zero season 2, Fire Force season 2, Muhyo & Roji's Bureau of Supernatural Investigation season 2, the second half of No Guns Life’s split-cour debut season (although it’s also being presented as season 2), and the returning Appare-Ranman! (whose run got postponed last season by the pandemic) – I’m watching, as of writing, five new anime series that premiered this season.  In descending order of my enjoyment, they are…

The God of High School
In a nutshell:
After last season’s Tower of God, here’s another anime based on a Korean manwha.  It’s about high school martial artists competing on what’s basically a Mortal Kombat-esque tournament held in South Korea.  Whoever wins gets his or her wish granted by the sponsoring corporation. 
Number of episodes as of writing: 3
My initial thoughts:
Who doesn’t like tournament arcs?  And this show is basically an entire tournament arc in itself.  So far, it’s a delightful action fest with ample amounts of humor and intriguing worldbuilding.  I have a feeling that I will enjoy this more than Tower of God.

The Misfit of Demon King Academy
In a nutshell:
A baby is born to a bubbly couple who is apparently the Demon King reincarnating after 2,000 years of hiatus.  After a month, he has aged into a teenager, and becomes a student in the Delzogade School, a school that trains young magical users that descended from his bloodline.  Because of his eccentricities, he becomes branded as a misfit in this school.
Number of episodes as of writing: 4
My initial thoughts:
Hey, look.  Another anime with a ridiculously OP main character who goes around showing how awesome he is and humiliating everyone who makes the mistake of underestimating him.  However, despite being a hackneyed, self-indulgent show, it’s extremely entertaining.  I’m still not sure of whether because it’s so over-the-top bad that it’s good or because it has self-awareness and is intentionally parodying the done-to-death, conceited premise.  Either way, I’m having a blast with this show.

Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out!
In a nutshell:
A bosomy but petite college sophomore starts hanging out with her high school senpai who’s also attending the same college.  The latter, who prefers to laze around by himself, is usually annoyed by the former’s loud personality and playful antics.  On the other hand, it also gives him enjoyment, although he won’t admit it.
Number of episodes as of writing: 3
My initial thoughts:
It’s not exactly a riot.  But I’m digging it.  It has given me some good laughs so far, and I’m finding the characters’ dynamic charming.  It’s shaping up as my “chill” show of the season.

Rent-A-Girlfriend
In a nutshell:
After a month of dating, college student Kazuya Kinoshita is dumped by his girlfriend Mami Nanami for another.  While wallowing in heartbreak, he uses an app to rent a girlfriend (this is a real thing in Japan, by the way.  You can rent friends, girlfriends, mothers, etc.) named Chizuru Mizuhara and go on a date with her.  However, after that date, Kazuya and Chizuru’s lives become more intertwined than they want them to be.
Number of episodes as of writing: 3
My initial thoughts:
It’s a mixed bag for me.  It has some solid comedic setups.  But it just doesn’t have anything going for it that completely wins me over.  Moreover, while Chizuru is likable, I find the pathetic Kazuya and the beeyatch Mami really obnoxious.   There’s a chance that I’ll drop this show

Peter Grill and Philosopher’s Time
In a nutshell:
Peter Grill has earned himself the title of being the world’s strongest warrior, which puts him in the position to finally earn the right to marry the love of his life.  However, being faithful to her proves to be constantly difficult as: a.) because of her sheltered upbringing, she is still ignorant of what sex is; and b.) various voluptuous women are relentlessly pursuing and seducing him so that they can bear children who carry his warrior pedigree.
Number of episodes as of writing: 3
My initial thoughts:
There are other ecchi anime this season, but this is the one I picked up because I thought it had the most potential of being as hilarious and daring (and as imaginative with its high fantasy world building) as Interspecies Reviewers.  But nah.  No striking comedy ever comes out from its trashy content.  I’m dropping this.  I might give its slot to Deca-Dence (if ever it still has hype midway through the season).

No comments: