Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Anime of Summer 2020, Ranked

This is a bit late already, but here’s the recap of all the anime from summer 2020 that I watched – arranged from what I liked the least to what I liked the most, and their titles color coded for new series, returning series, and carryovers from spring 2020.

Ahiru no Sora
I stuck with it through its 50-episode run only to watch the main characters lose every game they played.  If only the action during basketball games were more hyped and visually striking, I would have been fine with the endless losing.  But the animation and direction during matches were pretty basic.  Thus, following it through four cours was mostly a tedious experience for me.  But as I mentioned a season back, I had decided to go all in with this.  So, yeah, I’ll hate-watch season 2 when it comes.

Japan Sinks
Click here for my full review.

Rent-A-Girlfriend
Click here for my full review.

Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out!
Click here for my full review.

Muhyo & Roji's Bureau of Supernatural Investigation
Season 2 was okay.  There were a couple of episode I enjoyed much.  But I think I was way more into this show during its first season.

No Guns Life
Part two of its debut season was every bit as appealing as part one.  The cyberpunk action was amazing. It had a tad too many exposition and dialogue scenes, though – making the show drag a bit.

The God of High School
Click here for my full review.

Fire Force
In my opinion, this shonen deserves more attention and respect. I guess season one had more memorable sakuga battles, but season two is still extremely pleasing with its action aesthetics. In addition, its plot may be not that special, but the manner it’s being told is still adequately engrossing.

Deca-Dence
Click here for my full review.

The Misfit of Demon Academy
Click here for my full review.

Aggretsuko
Season 3 didn’t quite have that same relatable “adulting” edge that the previous two seasons had.  However, it was still pretty riveting and delightful.  The whole “Retsuko becoming an idol” storyline was immensely enjoyable.

Fruits Basket
When I first reviewed this shojo, I described it as “melodrama done right.”  After watching season two, I will now call it a “melodrama masterwork.”

Re:Zero – Starting Life in Another World
Season 2 has been arguably more cerebral so far than at this same point of season one.  The complex layers of its narrative require more focus from its audience than the usual anime watch.  Thus, it can be somewhat taxing.  However, the rewards – and the anticipation for future rewards – certainly make any effort worth it.  Can’t wait for its resumption on winter 2021.

Great Pretender
Click here for my full review.

Appare-Ranman!
Click here for my full review.

No comments: