I can’t remember when or where I first learned
of Floor796. But it’s been one of my
favorite nerdy things in the Internet.
The site features the eponymous 796th
floor of a Death Star-like space station.
This floor houses several rooms, and within these rooms, you can see, depicted in looped animation, characters and elements from various pop culture properties taking part in
amusing slice-of-life sketches. The more eclectic your familiarity and tastes are with movies, books, comics, anime, cartoons, TV shows, video games, music, and
Internet culture, the more delightful you will find the scenarios and
interactions scattered across the floor.
And if you’re unfamiliar with any of the character or components, you
can just click on them to find out where they are from. Some clickable parts even have interactive
functions.
The artist of Floor796 started this project in
2018, and it’s still ongoing. With each
update, the station floor is expanded with new themed rooms depicting a fresh
set of characters and pop culture references.
As of writing, it sits at 60% complete.
While entirely plotless, Floor796 rewards
keen-eyed observers with recurring gags and interconnected episodes. Sometimes, the humor can get pretty dark. The most notable I found involves Bebop and
Rocksteady.
I’ve
always enjoyed looking at and visually savoring every detail of crowded, Where’s
Waldo?-like artworks, especially when it involves IP crossovers. I remember when I was a kid in the 90s, I encountered
this book in a local bookstore called Look & Find X-Men – which is
like a Where’s Waldo? book, but with the X-Men (I also learned later on
that there’s also a Look & Find book centered on Spider-Man). I was quite mesmerized by it, and was really
sad when my parents didn’t buy it for me when I asked them (it was probably out
of their budget). Up until now, I’m still
hoping to find and own a copy. And so, given
the sensibility of someone who’s not gotten over Look & Find X-Men, it’s
no surprise why I was easily captivated by something like Floor796.
If you’re into nerdy stuff as much as I am, Floor796
is truly worth checking out for yourself.
Link: https://floor796.com/



No comments:
Post a Comment