Tuesday, August 20, 2019

'Veronica Mars' Returns with a Bang

Veronica Mars is one of my all-time favorite TV series, and I had some bitterness about its initial run being cancelled after only three seasons.  I was thankful for the continuing film adaptation in 2014 (after all, news of its record-breaking Kickstarter campaign was what led me to check out the show in the first place), but after watching, I only began wishing for a followup – whether another movie or a new season.  But as time passed with no indication that such a thing was going to happen, I eventually became resigned to the reality of its improbable occurrence.

Thus, imagine my surprise and elation when Kristen Bell dropped the bombshell a year ago that – after all these years – a season 4 was finally happening and slated for 2019.  Understandably, the return of Veronica Mars was one of the things I was looking forward to the most this year.

And now, after finally watching the 8-episode season, I can say I was satisfied.  I guess that’s partly because of my bias as a fan.  But, aside from that, I do honestly think season 4 was an objectively pleasing new installment of the Veronica Mars saga.  I’m not exactly going to say that I was happy about everything about it.  In fact, it delivered a huge status quo-shaking moment that I hated.  But it wasn’t because it was a product of terrible writing or execution, but only because I didn’t agree with it (more on this later).
In a nutshell, season 4 follows Veronica Mars as she investigates a string of bombings in Neptune that coincides with the annual spring break festivities.  Meanwhile, she also has to figure what to do next after Logan Echolls proposes marriage to her.

It was quite a delight immersing once again into the stuff that made the show special – the witty banters; the compelling, unpredictable central mystery that involves a lot of players and angles; worthwhile characters arcs; the snarky, cynical tone; the maddening, yet ironically riveting drama; etc.  On the other hand, it also feels edgier and more sophisticated this time around – more adult than we were used to.  I dig the new spin on the theme song as well.

In other words, this new season successfully strikes the perfect balance between being familiar and different.
Season 4 doesn’t bring back that many old characters, but it brings back all the characters whom fans would care to see be brought back.  Moreover, one can feel the maturing that happened to these characters after all these years.  First and foremost, it seemed to me that Veronica Mars – whom I’ve always thought is like the combination of Buffy Summers and Nancy Drew (and since both are two of my most favorite female characters in fiction, Veronica became a favorite as well) – became a more original and distinctive heroine than she has ever been because of this layer of maturity (as a result, I’m now fond of her more than ever).  And thinking about how much Logan had grown as a person from who he was when we first met him had been a source of great amusement to me.

Meanwhile, the new characters brought in for this new storyline are immediately interesting and mesh into the existing formula smoothly.  I especially enjoyed the fixer Clyde Pickett (played by the legendary J.K. Simmons, whom I was delightfully surprised of seeing taking part of this show) and Veronica’s young protégé, Matty Ross (Izabela Vidovic).

Overall, I believe season 4 has been a triumphant return for Veronica Mars.  I enjoyed every bit of it.
Well, almost every bit.  I hated the fact that (warning: major SPOILER) Logan was killed by that car bomb.  As a fan, it’s of course frustrating and depressing.  I feel betrayed.  Now, there are fans saying that it ruined what is otherwise an excellent season.  But I have to disagree. Yes, I prefer that it didn’t happen, but I don’t think it was uncharacteristically dumb.  Such senseless, heartbreaking happening is actually in line with the facet of cynicism that the show has always had, and at a storytelling standpoint, it was a powerful, logical, thematic moment.

Anyway, I’m really hoping Logan’ll end up being secretly alive, having faked his death.  After all, it’s within the realm of possibility with him being a naval intelligence officer and all, right?  He’s basically James Bond.

I really need a season 5 to make this true.  Please, please?

No comments: