Monday, January 20, 2020

Top 10 Anime Series of 2019

I haven’t reviewed any of the new anime shows from the fall season yet, nor have I made my final rankings for them.  But since none of them actually made the list, I think it’s okay to present my “top 10 anime series of 2019” ahead of my evaluations for those fall 2019 anime.

10.) My Hero Academia
My favorite anime series of the last two years just barely made the top 10 in 2019.  It’s because its latest season just started during the final quarter, and it’s still ongoing now.  So, its “whole” can’t be assessed yet.  Moreover, the episodes that came out in 2019 didn’t quite earn the show a higher place in this list.  The 2020 half is looking awesome, though.

9.) Astra Lost in Space
Astra Lost in Space can get really stimulating with its twists and turns, but the biggest reason it’s such a great show is it has heart.”
Click here for my full review.

8.) Mob Psycho 100
“…a notably smart, absorbing, humorous, and entertaining anime series.  Watching it has been a blast.”
Click here for my full review.

7.) Fire Force
“Whatever intrinsic similarities it might have with other shonen properties, it nevertheless has sufficient personality to distinguish itself.”
Click here for my full review.

6.) Vinland Saga
“…a magnificent, visceral anime… might actually even be a masterpiece.”
Click here for my full review.

5.) Dr. Stone
“…it preeminently upholds and lauds the importance of science and the scientific method.  But by also earnestly celebrating human resilience, empathy, and relationships with the same kind of regard, it manages to connect emotionally just as intellectually.”
Click here for my full review.

4.) Aggretsuko
Season 2 proves to be twice as thought-provoking, funny, and charming as the superb season 1.

3.) Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba
“…there’s a sense of kindness in Kimetsu no Yaiba that isn’t quite present in other action-oriented shonen.”
Click here for my full review.

2.) The Promised Neverland
“…The Promised Neverland is quite excellent in its technical aspects, production value, writing, and direction – all of which coalesce impeccably into the thrilling, intelligent, striking anime that it is.”
Click here for my full review.

1.) Attack on Titan
With its “Season 3 Part 2” run on the books, Attack on Titan is on its way to cementing itself as a modern classic.  It’s now all up to the much anticipated fourth and final season, which is slated for later this year, to finally clinch it.  I will be reserving my updated thoughts on this anime until then.  But as far as 2019 is concerned, it’s the best it has ever been.

No comments: