Wednesday, October 16, 2019

My First Impressions on 14 New Anime Series of Fall 2019

My fall season anime watchlist is packed.  First of all, the summer season’s Big 3 – Vinland Saga, Fire Force, and Dr. Stone – are all continuing into fall.  Second, there are new seasons of My Hero Academia, The Seven Deadly Sins, and High Score Girl.  Third, and most importantly, the fall season boasts a ton of notably fun and intriguing new anime series – of which I’m currently sold on 10 and on the fence on four.  Yep, this time around, I have no dropped anime after just watching the first episode.  The pilots did enough to at least convince me to watch a few more episodes.  That means I could end up following 18-20 anime shows this season (also, on top of that, fall is also peak season for American TV shows, of which I’m also following a bunch.  Yikes!).

So, yeah, I’ve picked up a total of 14 new anime shows at the start of the fall season, and as usual, let me enumerate them from what I’m currently enjoying the most to the least…

Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun
In a nutshell:
Suzuki Iruma is sold by his scumbag parents to a demon.  The demon takes him to the netherworld, and then adopts him.  Apparently, this demon just wants to play the role of a doting grandfather to him.  Iruma is then enrolled into a demon school, wherein he’ll likely get eaten if ever it’s discovered that he’s a human.
Number of episodes as of writing: 2
My initial thoughts:
I’m enjoying everything about it so far.  The upbeat OP.  The quirky 90s-ish tone.  The humor – it’s one of the funniest show this season.  Most particularly, it’s highly amusing to see Iruma desperately trying to keep a low profile and constantly failing at it.  Hilariously, he keeps on unwittingly increasing his notoriety by the day. For even though he’s a powerless human, he somehow comes out on top of every deadly challenge thrown at him due to a remarkable stroke of luck.

Cautious Hero: The Hero Is Overpowered but Overly Cautious
In a nutshell:
A goddess summons an overpowered hero from Japan to save a fantasy world from a Demon King.  Basic isekai premise.  But the side-splitting twist is that this MC is outrageously overcautious.  He won’t make a move until he’s very, very, very, VERY sure it would have a positive result.  He brings Batman’s obsessive uber-preparing to a hilarious extreme.  Even in slaying the weakest of monsters, he would pound it with a barrage of powerful attacks to make sure it’s dead.
Number of episodes as of writing: 2
My initial thoughts:
It overcomes the tired tropes of an oversaturated genre by being extremely funny and self-aware.  I feel that it’s going to be a worthwhile, satirical, meta isekai that’s reminiscent of KonoSuba.  Speaking of KonoSuba...

Hataage! Kemono Michi
In a nutshell:
Another isekai!  This time, the protagonist is a masked wrestler who loves animals a little bit too much.  He’s summoned to another world to slay demon beasts, but instead of doing so, he becomes outraged of what’s demanded from him and suplexes the princess who summoned him.  Now trapped in this new world, he decides to fulfil his lifelong dream of owning a pet shop here.  But first, he must befriend the demon beasts of this world as well as earn the money needed to set his pet shop up.
Number of episodes as of writing: 2
My initial thoughts:
This is an anime adaptation of a manga written by the same writer of KonoSuba – one of the best isekai shows out there as well as one of funniest, if not the funniest, anime I’ve ever encountered.  It’s not quite up there with KonoSuba, but I sense the similar style of comedic timing flowing through it.  I only expect this show to become more and more of a laugh riot like KonoSuba down the line.

Beastars
In a nutshell:
Basically anime Zootopia.
Number of episodes as of writing: 1
My initial thoughts:
Why is it worth watching?  Did you just read what I wrote above?  Basically anime Zootopia.  Anime.  Zootopia.  ‘Nuff said.

No Guns Life
In a nutshell:
A cyberpunk noir featuring a gumshoe-mercenary with a giant revolver for a head.
Number of episodes as of writing: 1
My initial thoughts:
It’s like Blade Runner, but more absurd.  Even prior to watching a single episode, I immediately knew I was going to like this.  Seeing the character design of the MC was enough to get me sold on it.

Houkago Saikoro Club
In a nutshell:
High schoolers playing different real-life tabletop games after school.
Number of episodes as of writing: 2
My initial thoughts:
Gaming is something largely digital nowadays.  Thus, it’s nice of an anime to bring focus on the analog side of gaming.  I’ve never played – nor ever will I be able to play – the card games and board games featured here.  Still, somehow, the show feels relatable.  It gives me a cozy, warm feeling inside.

Ahiru no Sora
In a nutshell:
A basketball anime where the MC kinda has a Stephen Curry-esque player profile.  He joins a high school basketball club whose members are delinquents, and have no interest in playing.  Of course, we can expect that, over the course of the story, he’s going to be the spark and catalyst that will turn them into a legit basketball team.
Number of episodes as of writing: 3
My initial thoughts:
I noticed that, as far as the start goes, the plot somewhat mirrors the plot of Dear Boys – a forgettable basketball anime that ran in the early 2000s.  Anyway, it’s adequately enjoyable for a sports anime, but it hasn’t distinguished itself yet.  Still, it has successfully given me enough to be optimistic about it.

Africa no Salaryman
In a nutshell:
Aggretsuko, but quirkier, cruder, and dumbed down.
Number of episodes as of writing: 2
My initial thoughts:
So, I describe it as a dumbed-down Aggretsuko.  However, I’m not necessarily throwing shade at it.  I’m merely describing it as best as I can in the most basic of sense.  I actually like this office comedy anime.  It doesn’t concern itself with thoughtful commentary, and just spews as many wacky gags as it can during its runtime.

High School Prodigies Have It Easy Even In Another World a.k.a. ChoYoYu
In a nutshell:
Seven genius high schoolers – who are considered to be the world’s best over the areas of politics, science, medicine, business, journalism, stage magic, and swordsmanship – are transported into another world.  With their tremendous intelligence and skills at hand, they set out to dominate it.
Number of episodes as of writing: 2
My initial thoughts:
In presenting the premise of teenage prodigies being world’s top experts on their respective fields, it gets a bit too self-indulgent and laughable.  If one’s suspension of disbelief is an alarm, it would be blaring “bullsh**” at it.  But this is only with regards to initially selling the premise.  When it comes to other aspects, it comes across as mostly fun.  I’m actually excited to see how these seven would use their specialties and over-competence to conquer this fantasy world and shape it into the image of modern Japan (something suggested will happen down the line by the OP).

Blade of the Immortal
In a nutshell:
An ONA adaptation of Hiroaki Samura’s manga masterpiece.
Number of episodes as of writing: 2
My initial thoughts:
It still pales in comparison to the manga (which I got to read via Dark Horse Comics’ English republishing), and so far, even to the live-action film.  But it promisingly looks like it’s going to end up being more beautiful and definitive than the original 2008 anime adaptation.

Ascendance of a Bookworm
In a nutshell:
The book-loving Motosu Urano’s dream is to become a librarian.  But when she’s finally close to realizing it, she dies in an accident.  She’s then reincarnated in another world as Myne, a sickly five-year-old girl born in a poor family in a Dark Age-like society.  This is a bad news to her because, in this world, literacy is basically non-existent among the common folk and books are rare commodities and worth a fortune, and thus, only the elite class have them.  But Myne is determined to become a librarian even in this new life, and if there are no books around, then she will be the one making them.
Number of episodes as of writing: 2
My initial thoughts:
This is the first of the four new anime shows I’m currently still on the fence about.  It’s only entertaining at a basic level so far, but the charming premise keeps me coming back for more.

Special 7: Special Crime Investigation Unit
In a nutshell:
It’s somewhat like anime Bright.  It’s set in a world similar to ours, but other fantasy races co-exist with humans.  And dragons used to be around, too.  The story centers on a special unit of police misfits who are tasked to combat a terrorist organization.
Number of episodes as of writing: 2
My initial thoughts:
As far as characterizations and tone are concerned, this show is giving off some Cowboy Bebop vibes.  That’s why I’m sticking with it for now, even though it hasn’t made an impact yet.

New Cooking Master Boy
In a nutshell:
A remake of the 90’s anime series.
Number of episodes as of writing: 1
My initial thoughts:
Leading toward its pilot, I couldn’t find any information if it was going to be a continuation or a remake.  But now knowing that it’s a remake, I’m unsure if it’s worth following.  I’m fond of the original anime series, but it’s a story that I don’t need to rewatch.  Moreover, instead of starting off from the very beginning, it begins midway through the saga already. It’s an odd, perplexing decision, really.  Thus, it’s a bit of a mess as it lacks the proper setup.

Kabukichou Sherlock
In a nutshell:
Set in the red-light district of Kabukichou, Tokyo, it’s a comedic spin on Sherlock Holmes that has bizarre stylistic flourishes.
Number of episodes as of writing: 1
My initial thoughts:
I decided to watch this in the first place only because I would typically watch anything that has the Sherlock Holmes brand stamped on it – even when it’s godawful.  As it turns out, it’s a bit too weird for me, and none of the jokes really hit.  However, I can feel some appeal seeping through its zany campiness.  Plus, its Holmes and Watson have decent chemistry.  But all things considered, it’s looking like I will eventually drop it.  Nevertheless, I will give it one or two more episodes to really make sure it’s not for me.  Who knows.  There’s still the chance it will grow on me.

No comments: