Friday, January 08, 2021

Top 10 TV Shows of 2020

Compared to previous years, I didn’t watch that many TV shows in 2020.  Also, I wasn’t able to watch all the shows that I had meant to watch.  I intended to get into Dark and Money Heist – at least, one of the two – but I never got around to catching up with either one.  I also intended to watch the K-drama Start-Up before the year was over, but failed at it as well (I’m still determined to do so this month).  But from the stuff that I got to actually watch in 2020, here are my favorites.

10.) Star Wars: The Clone Wars
Star Wars: The Clone Wars – or at least its essential episodes – has long been a splendid, must-see chapter of the Star Wars saga.  However, season 7 absolutely doubled its repute.”
Click here for the full review.

9.) Looney Tunes Cartoons
“…legitimately feels like the property returning back to form… succeeds in nailing the ‘looney’ factor.”
Click here for the full review.

8.) DuckTales
It’s sad that this show is going to end in 2021 – its third season set to be its last.  This animated series has simply been straight up fun for me, succeeding in being delightfully original and, at the same time, in evoking nostalgia by referencing elements from not only the original DuckTales series, but from other 90’s cartoons as well, while still presenting them in a clever, new way (for the most part; I still don’t like that, initially, Darkwing Duck was fictional in this universe, although I’ve since come to appreciate this new vision for the character).

7.) Umbrella Academy
I enjoyed season 2 a lot more than I did season 1, which I felt was a bit of a mess.  Season 2, for me, has better drama and comedy, and blends them together more successfully.  The storytelling for it is also more riveting.  In addition, I also like that, in this season, the Hargreeves siblings have managed to come together as more of an actual team than a dysfunctional family, although there’s still an ample amount of that to spice up their dynamics.

6.) The Queen’s Gambit
“…as far as I can remember, [it’s] the very first chess-centered work of fiction I’ve ever encountered that I found to be remarkably enjoyable.”
Click here for the full review.

5.) Castlevania
Season 3 is not the masterpiece that was season 2, but it still delivered an awesome season featuring a dark, gripping, profound main storyline; engaging subplots; exhilarating set pieces; and stimulating set-ups for the next season.

4.) What We Do in the Shadows
Season 1 was great.  But season 2 proved to be better in every way – more thoughtful, more hilarious, and more delightful.  This is easily the best comedy TV series of the year.

3.) Rick and Morty
Half a season of Rick and Morty ending up being better than full seasons of other shows simply demonstrates how brilliant it is.

2.) The Boys
Like The Umbrella Academy and What We Do in the Shadows, The Boys’ sophomore season turned out being greater than its first season.   With its gritty, witty brand of superhero satire, it masterfully expounds upon its superb characters and world as it tells a compelling overarching storyline that’s packed with violent action, excellent dark humor, and incredible twists-and-turns.

1.) The Mandalorian
For the second straight year, I’ve found it to be the best show on TV.  More than that, it has a very real chance of becoming one of my all-time favorites.  Unlike the filmmakers of the sequel trilogy, the showrunners of this series have shown true understanding of Star Wars and a coherent vision.  An outstanding space western and a worthwhile addition to the Star Wars universe, The Mandalorian – a least, with its first two seasons, which presented a compelling, beautiful character arc for its eponymous main character – is a legit masterpiece.

No comments: