Thursday, August 26, 2021

Anime of Spring 2021, Ranked

Spring 2021 ended two months ago already.  But even though it’s now very late, I still decided to make my usual end-of-season rankings for its anime, especially since I failed to do a “first impressions” post.  Besides, this isn’t the first time I was this late with my seasonal ranking.  Lol.

Anyway, just like Winter 2021, Spring 2021 was an excellent and jam-packed season.  Sadly, I haven’t gotten around to watching some of the most popular titles of the season – namely Don't Toy With Me, Miss Nagatoro, Vivy -Fluorite Eye’s Song-, and Odd Taxi.  But I really want to catch up with them, especially the last two, which garnered “Anime of the Year” buzz.

But for those I got to watch, here’s how I ranked them from least to best.

Wonder Egg Priority
Note: This ranking concerns only the disappointing finale, the only part of the show that aired within Spring 2021.  Here is my review for the series as a whole. 

Combatants Will Be Dispatched!
I checked out the first episode because the source material was written by the author of KonoSuba.  Unfortunately, it was far from being as hilarious as KonoSuba.  So, I didn’t bother with episode 2.

I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level
It’s pretty decent.  Being an isekai buff, I would have easily watched this if it had been any other season.  But with tons of better anime concurrently airing, I wasn’t compelled to watch beyond the pilot.

Shaman King
As of this time, I’ve actually only watched the first episode.  But it isn’t because I didn’t like it.  I intend to catch up to it in the future.  I’m just letting it finish first (I read that the plan is for 52 episodes), and reserving it for myself to binge watch.

I enjoyed the original series back in the early 2000s, but that show was unable to be a faithful adaptation.  It was forced to depart from the source material midway through its run as the manga was still ongoing and unfinished at that time.  On the other hand, this reboot series is reportedly going to closely follow the manga’s storyline, which I thought was more compelling and imaginative than what the first anime presented.  Hence, I’m looking forward to binge it.

My Hero Academia 5th Season
My Hero Academia used to dominate every season it was in (at one point, it was even my favorite anime series for back-to-back years).  However, the current season is kind of underwhelming.  Even when it started picking up with the reveal of Deku’s new power, it still lacked the highs that it used to bring.

Burning Kabaddi
Click here for my full review.

So I’m a Spider, So What?
Click here for my full review.

Tokyo Revengers
Of course, with a premise that’s basically Erased meets High & Low, there was no way I would miss this show.  Being a double cour, it’s still ongoing this Summer 2021.  My review will come once season 1 is done.

Slime Diaries: That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime
Click here for my full review.

SSSS.Dynazenon
Click here for my full review.

Record of Ragnarok
Click here for my full review.

To Your Eternity
Since it’s still ongoing this Summer 2021, my review for it has to wait.  For now, let me say that this is a wonderfully engrossing, poignant fantasy drama.

Nomad: Megalo Box 2
Click here for my full review.

The Way of the Househusband
Click here for my full review.

Moriarty the Patriot 2nd Cour
Click here for my full review.

Those Snow White Notes
Click here for my full review.

86 EIGHTY-SIX
86 reminds me a lot of the Code Geass spin-off Akito the Exiled.  Well, I bet it’s inspired by Akito the Exiled, as there are a lot of parallels between the two.  Regardless, this is, for me, the best new anime of Spring 2021 (at least, as of now, as I haven’t seen Odd Taxi and Vivy yet).  I haven’t given it a review yet since it’s a split cour.  It’s slated to return with its second half on Fall 2021 (that is, if it doesn’t get delayed like Mushoku Tensei), and my plan is to review it after that.

Mairimashita! Iruma-kun 2nd Season
The opening episodes of season 2 were so good (especially once Iruma’s “Evil Cycle” arc kicked off) that I was compelled to read ahead the manga, which I ended up being up to date with.  Now, on top of looking forward to each new episode (season 2 is a double cour, carrying over to Summer 2021), I’m also regularly looking forward to each new chapter.  Seriously, Mairimashita! Iruma-kun is awfully underrated.  In my opinion, it’s one of the most delightful, most creative, and most amusing ongoing manga/anime today.

Zombieland Saga Revenge
This may have been a better season than season 1, and season 1 was already outstanding.  At the very least, it’s as funny, charming, heartwarming, entertaining, and hyped.  Can’t wait for season 3, especially since Revenge concluded on a shocking cliffhanger.  Franchouchou rocks!

Fruits Basket
Click here for my full review.

No comments: